Friday, October 13, 2006

Bow down sister, cause the brother has to go

Sweet, sweet baby
You spoke your first inaudible words, only to realize you were speaking of me.
It was my term of endearment. His and mine alone.

Frolic through the mint fields and adventure into neighboring garages
Wandering through pet foods galore
Pass the summer day into future

+++++

Hansel and Gretel ran out of bread and you and I ran out of youth. A giant earthquake split the ground and we were supremely divided.
I never warned him.
I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even see it coming. (silly sister, mama would have known)

+++++

We rode the city bus, tightly side by side
The homeless man made threats and we were frightened
Once we waited, the crazy woman sang
(doo-wop, doo-wop, doo-wop, such an ugly boy)
Meek and mild, your eyes grew and welled. Horrified, I sat still.

+++++

I was the sister/mother. You were the puppy boy all grown up.
Lay down sister. That mama has to go.
Small bird boy flies the coup. He had the “get out of jail free” card. I lost mine somewhere down the road.

+++++

We held hands, hand in hand.
One day, he let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment